If you’ve ever felt your blood pressure rise behind the wheel or on public transport, you may need to learn how to upgrade your commute.
500 million people around the world commute to work, for 40 minutes on average—each way. Not only that, but many consider it the worst part of their day. If you’re one of those struggling to sport a smile on your way to and from work, follow these steps for a happier commute.
1. Be kind: Give up your seat, allow a bus to pull out in front of you, or help someone struggling with a door.
2. Don’t skip breakfast, and choose water over a second cup of coffee.
3. Instead of ‘mistakenly seeking solitude’, talk to a stranger.
4. Turn off radio news bulletins, decline the free newspaper, and keep off social media.
5. Focus on what you will achieve in work this week, not the traffic jam or delay.
6. Curate a long playlist of music that makes you feel calm and happy, then put it on shuffle.
7. When all else fails, smile—even if it’s fake.